KERALA – GODS OWN COUNTRY – As the tagline depicts its the place owned by GOD. Its filled with nature and one can say its heaven. Name the thing and its present in Kerala. You want Beach? Backwater? Its there. Mountain? Forest? Hill Station? yup its present.
It was my first trip to South India(Kerala+Kanyakumari+Rameshwaram) but was one of the best trip I ever had. So I thought to write in detail about it. I would share each and every details in this post. All the places, hotels, rates, food, photos, timings, driver, taxi etc. So this post might get lengthy. But will also highlight the important points for those who just need summary or particular details.
We were 4 friends and our trip was of 10 days. We started from Pune. The places we visited were:
Calicut, Waynand, Kochi, Munnar, Allepey, Kovalam, Kanyakumari, Rameshwaram.
Day1: Arrived to Calicut(Kozikode) and reach Wayanand
- We reached Calicut at morning 9 am. We already had taxi booked. We started journey towards Waynand.
- Taxi Details:
Car type: Ford Aspire
Driver name: Mithin
Contact: +91 8156985496
Journey Detail: Hired from Kozikode-Waynand-Kozikode
- Wayanad is a rural district in Kerala state, southwest India. In the east, the Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary is a lush, forested region with areas of high altitude, home to animals including Asiatic elephants, tigers, leopards and egrets.
- Waynand is famous for its forest stay. One can look for homestays here. You can also search for Tree House stay in Vythri Village.
Places to see:
- Banasura Dam
– One need to trek for approx 2km i.e 10 mins to reach from base till Dam.
– There is a mini bus service available. Rs 30 per person.
– Also hire a jeep if you are in group. Rs 250 per jeep.
– There is a small market at base.
– Boating is available here. Lunch time: 2-3 pm
– Food: Pineapple dipped in vinegar tastes yummy. Do try without fail.
- Pokodo Lake
– Entry Fee: Rs 20 per person
– A small aquarium(not worth to see) – Rs.5 per person
– Fish spa for Rs 50
- Sochipara Waterfall
– Entry: Rs 50
- Chembra Peak & Eddekal Caves
– We were not able to visit this place due to time constraint.
– Make sure you visit this place before 4pm. Because it gets closed by 5pm
- 5km Ziplin
– Rs 250 per person
- Food at Waynand
– Pure veg hotels are available. But people may find difficulties with the taste of food mostly vegetarians 🙂
– Hotel Sangam
Day 2: Back to Kozikode and train towards Kochi
– We reached Calicut by 8pm. Had Dinner and went to station as we had train at 11pm towards Kochi.
IF: Due to cold in monsoon and winter, Hotels in Kerala serve Hot Medicinal Water(pink water).
Day3: Reach Kochi and start journey towards Munnar
– We reached Kochi by 5am.
– Had awesome South Indian Breakfast(Meduwada, Upma) at station
– Again Taxi was already booked.
– Started journey towards Munnar
– Had Snacks at Hotel Saddya but food was costly and not up to the mark.
Car type: Toyota Etios
Driver name: Mr. Roy
Journey Detail: Hired from Kochi-Munnar-Allepy-Kochi
Day 4 & 5: Munnar
– Awesome road and Breathtaking view with small waterfalls after every 1km journey towards Munnar. Please note we visited during rainy season in end of August.
– We stayed at Hotel Fort Munnar. Its situated 20km from Munnar town near Club Mahindra Resort.
– A hill station and former resort for the British Raj elite, it’s surrounded by rolling hills dotted with tea plantations established in the late 19th century.
– Unlimited Breakfast
Places to visit:
1) Cultural Events: Kathak & Martial Arts
– Rs 250 for Kathak
– Rs 250 for Martial Arts
– A must to see event. This made me proud as an Indian and respect towards our Indian culture and tradition.
2) Tea Garden
– Munnar is a hub of Tea and Tea products.
3) Photo Point
– Entry fee Rs 20 pp
– You can click pictures at this point in center of Tea Gardens.
4) Tea Factory
– Entry Fee: Rs 200 pp
– It shows detail process of tea production
– Please spare 2-3 hrs for this place.
5) Elephant Ride
– Your trip is not complete if you dont meet/ride Elephants in Kerala.
– Here there is a short ride i.e a round on Elephant.
– Fee: Rs 400 per person
– Rs 250 if you want photographs with Elephant. There will be a dedicated photographer that will take 15-20 pics of you when you are riding the Elephant.
– If you want to bathe/wash elephant and offer food to elephant with your hand then you need to book a time slot in advance and it might cost around 3000.
6) Meduputty Dam
– Free entry
– Nice Dam view.
– A small market with small tea stalls and maggi joints
– You can buy a soveneir from here.
7) Wondervalley OR Adventure Park
– This is for kids.
– You need a half or one day for this park.
– We didnt visited but my sister visited this place.
– It has camel ride also.
8) Choclate Factory
– Do visit this factory.
– You can buy different varieties of choclate and its product.
– Choclate ranges from Rs 400-700 per KG
– White, Dark, Milk, Roasted Almond, Fruit Nut, Cashew, Rum, Truffle choclates etc are available.
9) Munnar Market
– Its a market situated in Munnar Town.
– Munnar is famous for Indian Spices and choclate, Tea and Coffee.
– Choclate shops, Spices shops and Tea and Coffee shops.
– We had delicious veg food after 4 days in south in Mahavir Bhojnalaya in munnar town.
– Many veg restaurants are available here.
Day 6: Munnar to Allepy(Alappuzha)
– We reached Allepy at 4 pm.
– Alappuzha (or Alleppey) is a city on the Laccadive Sea in the southern Indian state of Kerala. It’s best known for houseboat cruises along the rustic Kerala backwaters, a network of tranquil canals and lagoons.
– Places to visit in Allepey
1) House Boat
– we didnt stayed at House Boat but my sister stayed and gave good feedback about it.
– Hundred’s of Boat with AC rooms are available here.
– Rate: 7000 to 8000 per night
– Homemade Breakfast, Lunch and dinner included.
– Visit different islands on the same boat.
– Please note : Boat stops moving after 5 pm. So they park the boat at one place till next morning.
2) Citrus Hotel
– We stayed at Citrus Hotel.
– Hotel is situated on an island. So you will be taken in boat to hotel from the pickup point.
– Awsome Hotel with superb views and service.
– They have two room views: Paddy field view and Backwater view
– We had complimentary foot/Head spa for 10mins
– Unlimited Breakfast or Rs 350 pp
– Sujit(Manager) was really a nice person and provided the best service to us.
3) Boat Ride for 3 hrs
– If you dont stay in House Boat, you can take a boat ride that is of 3 hrs.
– Price: Rs 2500 per boat
– Visit all islands and points
Day 7: Allepy to Kochi
– Reached Kochi at 7 pm
Lullu International Mall
– This is Asia’s 2nd Largest Mall
– The Hypercity of this mall is a must visit.
– The food you name will be available at this Hypercity.
Coconut Oil Banana Chips/ JackFruit Chips
– Fresh Banana chips are made in front of you Hot & Crispy.
– Rs 300-400 per kg
– The famous waterfall in Bahubali Movie.
– Timing: Visit before 4 pm.
– We were late and were not able to view it from near.
Day 7: Kochi to Kanyakumari
Day 8: Kanyakumari
Day 9: Rameshwaram
Day 10: Kanyakumari to Kovalam
– Kovalam is a small coastal town in the southern Indian state of Kerala, south of Thiruvananthapuram
– Rs: 2500 speed boat(4-6 people) for 2 hour
– Golden Beach
– Floating Restaurants
– Bird Watching: Kingfisher, Eagle, Duck etc
– Tamil Nadu & Kerala border
Trivandrum Airport: Flight Back to Pune
– Paragon Hotel for non-veg
– Medicinal drink
Pokodo lake, aquarium, fish spa
Pineapple dipped in vinegar
Cultural Events: Kathak & Martial Arts
Photo point Rs 20
Tea Factory: Rs200
Elephant ride: Rs250 + Rs 250 for photo
Boat Ride for 3 hrs
APJ Abdul kalam memorial